Welcome to the Writtle Christian Centre web page. Here you will find that we are more than your ordinary or average church hall. In fact we have 2 halls, plus various other small areas for meetings whether business or pleasure.
The Main Hall is 18.2m x 10.3m and can be used for a wide range of activities including: Pilates, dancing, keep fit, yoga, uniformed groups, regular clubs/activities, private functions and weddings. It has a fire licence for up to 120 people. It also has an adjacent fully equipped kitchen. The hall has a wooden floor, 120 chairs and 16 folding Gopak tables (1.8m x 0.6m). There is also a regularly tuned upright piano.
The Small Hall is 11.5m x 5.5m and is suitable for meetings of up to 40 people, including business seminars or training meetings, regular clubs/activities, yoga, dance classes and Pilates. It has direct access to the kitchen facilities. The hall has a wooden floor, 40 chairs and 8 folding Gopak tables (1.8m x 0.60m). There is also a regularly tuned upright piano
The Archive Room is used by Writtle Archives and is not generally available for hire although it can be used as a small meeting area.
The Quiet Room is 5.5m x 3.8m and is suitable for up to 15 people for smaller meetings. It is carpeted and has 15 chairs. The room is also suitable for use as a treatment room and is equipped with a treatment bed for physiotherapy.
The Foyer is 6.7m x 4.4m and is a carpeted open space linking the entranceway to the small hall, quiet and archive rooms. It can be used as a reception area or for small gatherings for coffee. It has 4 tables (90cm x 90cm) and is set up in café style
The Kitchen is a spacious 6m x 5.7m and has plenty or work top space, a stainless-steel island work unit, a double size cooker with grills, a domestic size refrigerator and separate freezer, microwave, catering standard dishwasher, two water boilers, three sinks, sufficient crockery and cutlery to cater for 120 guests. Wine glasses can be provided on request.
The Centre has:
- separate toilet facilities for ladies, gents and disabled persons (including a baby changing unit)
- a fully accessible building, with platform lift giving access from the entranceway to the lower foyer, small hall and rooms beyond
- Performing Rights Licence (PRS and PPL)
- Regulatory certificates for electrics and fire appliances
Hire includes use of tables and chairs, heat and lighting and full use of the kitchen facilities (if specifically requested).
Either of our 2 halls provide excellent opportunities for family events;
- Children’s birthday parties can cause havoc with the furniture so why not book the small hall instead. The use of the spacious kitchen and equipment is included in the hire
- Adult significant birthdays: For a quiet intimate affair, say with a sit-down meal for 24-30, the small hall is ideal, for large events the Main Hall is available. The Main Hall is perfect for all kinds of dancing
- Reception after a baptism, wedding or funeral either hall can provide the convenient space required after the service to meet with friends and family
- Fundraising events: looking for somewhere to hold your quiz night, bazaar, table-top sale, craft fayre, sale of work, both halls offer a variety of options.
- Searching for a place to hold a meeting for just a few whether it be a committee meeting, workshop, seminar, training session or just some friends having coffee, the Quiet Room offers a secluded and intimate area
- For larger meetings either of the 2 halls can adapt to your needs: the small hall can accommodate up to 40 in theatre style whilst the main hall can take 120.
- If your regular venue does not have capacity to allow you the last extra practise before your main event we will do all we can to assist.
- Your reason for looking for a venue not listed? Then speak to our Manager.
- One advantage of the Centre is that it does have its own Car Park for upwards of 30 cars.
Click an image to enlarge
The hire charges include:
- Use of the Kitchen
- Use of the Foyer on a shared user basis
- Weddings and adult parties will be charged a damage deposit of £200, which will be refunded when the Hall Committee is satisfied with the condition in which the facilities have been left
- Similarly, exhibitions and conferences will be charged a damage deposit of £100
- There is no extra charge for other facilities such as heating and lighting
- Hire of the hall includes tables, chairs and display boards
- Use of the Centre’s PRS/PPL licenses to cover hirers use of playing music
It is considered to be a regular hire when the hirer books more than 6 session in a 12 month period, with at least 3 being booked at a time.
Regular hirers with benefit from a 10% reduction in fees.
These fees include as listed above with the exception of the use of the Centre’s PRS/PPL licenses. If the Centre’s Licenses are to be used there will be a charge of £5 per quarter.
Fees for occasional one-off hires with effect 1st January 2024
|Charge p/h (£) from 09.00 to 18.00 Monday to Friday
|Charge p/h (£) from 18.00 to 23.30 Monday to Friday
|Charge p/h (£) from 09.00 to 23.30 Saturday to Sunday*
*Please note that the Church often requires use of the Centre on Sundays and has priority that day.
Booking an Event
For one-off occasional booking please download the form here. Once complete return to the Centre Manager
- Via email, or,
- Post to Writtle Christian Centre, Church Lane Writtle CM1 3EN, or,
- Delivered in person to the Centre or left in the post box by the main door.
Once received, if not already having spoken to the Manager to provisionally book your event, you will be contacted to confirm that the date is available and discuss your requirements. Once everything agreed you will be sent 2 copies of the Hiring Agreement which we require you to sign one copy and return along with the deposit. On receipt of your deposit the booking will be consider confirmed and the deposit becomes non-returnable at this point.
Please refer to our Terms & Conditions of Hire
If you are interested in a regular hire please contact us by email in the first instance.
Clubs currently using the Christian Centre Halls
You will find the numerous clubs and other activities that take place on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis. All the clubs welcome new members so if you are interested in any of these activities please contact the named person or just go along to the session.
1st Writtle Brownie Unit
Wednesday 6pm – 7.15pm.
For Information: www.girlguiding.org.uk
Routines are performed to banging tunes in a welcoming, motivating, environment. We encourage a social space where you can make friends or even bring your children along while you workout too – we’re proud to have pioneered the ‘child-friendly’ fitness movement and pride ourselves on operating an inclusive FUN FRIENDLY FIERCE nightclub vibe.
((BOUNCE)) improves weight loss up to 3 times faster than floor-based exercise due to the addition of gravity and g-force, it builds core strength quickly, is a cellular workout and detoxifies the body efficiently thanks to the lymphatic system being pumped as we jump. There’s plenty of scientific research on the health benefits of rebounding, but most impressively we’re aiming to lose over 700 calories per session, and have fun of course… that’s what trampolines were made for!
Contact Jaimini on 07585 006707
Chelmsford Morris Dancing
Traditional English Cotswold Morris dancing. A men’s side meeting on Wednesday evenings, 8-10pm. Everyone welcome, to join or just have a go.
www.chelmsfordmorris.co.uk or call Celia at 01245 263753.
Tots class (4 and 5 year olds) – 3.45pm to 4.15pm
Beginners (white belt to green belt) – 4.15pm to 5.00pm
Advanced (green belt and above) – 5.00pm to 5.45pm
Youth Kickboxing (8 years plus) – 6.00pm to 6.45pm
First session is free for everyone, there is no need to book in, just come along. If you would like more information, then please call 01277 262800 or visit www.kazenkai.com
Physiotherapy and treatment for all musculo-skeletal conditions delivered by a chartered physiotherapist with over 35 years experience.
Treatment available for a wide range of conditions including sports and soft tissue injuries, back, neck and shoulder pain, and joint problems including arthritis.
Clinic open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9.30am to 1.30pm.
For advice or appointments please contact Heather on 07973 575944 or visit my website at www.heathercotteephysiotherapist.co.uk for further information.
The BIG Sing
Join our fast growing community choir.
Showing our community that together we CAN sing.
Open to all – no auditions – just bring your enthusiasm.
£7 per week, first session FREE
Contact 0333 366 1293 big-sing.com for more information.
Writtle Tappers – Adult Tap Classes
Come and learn to Tap Dance, or brush up your technique in fun and relaxed classes. Classes for Absolute Beginners, Beginners/Improvers, Intermediate & Advanced. Tuesday Evening
First class is free
Contact Annette on 01245 263153 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
National & Folk Dance Centre
Dance Classes teaching Traditional Dances from Europe. It’s a great way to have FUN and meet new friends at the same time! Aimed at Girls & Boys from Reception Year upwards. Tuesday Evening
Come and try your first class for free
Contact Annette on 01245 263153 or e-mail: email@example.com for more information